Saturday, July 25, 2015

Why "The Gringa Catracha"?

I'm back!

It's been over six months since my last post on my old blog, "Our Compassion Adventure." However, that's not for lack of trying. For some reason, something has stopped me from writing there, even though I tried (a lot).

To be honest, my philosophies of ministry and missions have shifted since I first began that blog. God has worked great things in my life as well as the lives of our children, but the focus of my blog felt somewhat limited to me.

Rather than editing my previous entries, I finally decided that it was time for a fresh start.

So, why "The Gringa Catracha"? What does that even mean?

A couple of years ago, our bus driver (of all people) initiated this nickname. People in Honduras have always been fascinated by how very white I am, and it was pretty common for at least one of our children to point at me, calling me "gringa." However, even though my skin is white, my heart is Honduran.

When explaining this sentiment to our bus driver, he laughed, nodded his head, and said, "oh, so you're the Gringa Catracha!" Gringa references my white skin, clearly, but "Catracha" references my Honduran heart. Literally, "The Gringa Catracha" means "The White Honduran."

The more I've thought about it, the more I've grown to love this name. It has become a way to quickly bridge the gap between me and my sponsored children, as well as their families. While it isn't the same as if I was born and raised and living in Honduras, something about the name always lowers inhibitions in others. It demonstrates my deep commitment not only to their children, but also to their country. Even the fact that I know what it means to be "Catracha" always makes them laugh! I'm not just coming once and leaving...rather, my heart is completely with my people in Honduras.

So, here I am. This new blog will still primarily focus on my adventures with Compassion International, but I don't want to only write about Compassion. I know that there will be many more adventures that will come my way in the coming months, and I'm thankful for the potential of a broader scope here.

I already have many stories to share, and I hope that you will join me!


No comments:

Post a Comment